Bulgaria Sofia Mission April 2012 ~ April 2014

Monday, September 24, 2012

9/24/2012


         This week we met with a couple about mid 40's or 50's and had a great lesson with them before they leave for a two month vacation. We met them in a park two weeks ago and went to a little cafe to get some drinks. We talked about a lot of things including, engineering, English, their sons, and the gospel. We gave them a picture that my companion sketched of Jesus holding a sheep. I’m sure you have seen it before. They were very happy to give us their number and meet with us again.
          We called them all throughout the week to try and get a meeting with them before they left. We finally got to meet with them again this Tuesday, the day before they left for their vacation. We walked with them through the same park where we met them and sat down at a little stone table. They had made us some Banitsa and so we ate it together. After that we started talking with them about the restoration and the apostasy. They were very interested and seemed to be in agreement with everything we told them. When we were about done I extended a challenge to them. We read Moroni 10:3-5. When I asked Stephanie to read it she said she can't read at all without her glasses, which she didn't have with her. So I gave a book to her husband and he started to read it to himself. I felt prompted to give her my book even though she said she wouldn't be able to read it. When she looked down she started reading and had no problem reading every word. When she finished she looked up at me and said "this book is a gift from God, I can read it without my glasses!" They promised us they would read the book over their trip and we packed up to go. When we were about to part ways, Stephanie looked at us and said "We love you like our own children." We got big hugs from George and left. What great people there are to find when we just look in faith!
          That was the highlight of my week. Other than that we had one other meeting and when she came in and sat down she said, "last night I was thinking about you boys, I think I want to test your faith." Elder Ferwerda and I were at a loss for words. I am very thankful though at that point a member walked into the room and stayed through the whole lesson with us. It is obvious that there is a very good reason why we are in companionships. And I am thankful for that. Well I hope that is enough for you because I don't have any other things to say!

Love, Elder Petersen

1 comment:

  1. Wikipedia says: Banitsa (Bulgarian: Баница, also transliterated as banica and banitza) is a traditional Bulgarian food prepared by layering a mixture of whisked eggs and pieces of cheese between filo pastry and then baking it in an oven.
    Traditionally, lucky charms are put into the pastry on certain occasions, particularly on New Year's Eve. These charms may be coins or small symbolic objects (e.g., a small piece of a dogwood branch with a bud, symbolizing health or longevity). More recently, people have started writing happy wishes on small pieces of paper and wrapping them in tin foil. Wishes may include happiness, health, or success throughout the new year.
    Banitsa is served for breakfast with plain yogurt, ayran, or boza. It can be eaten hot or cold. Some varieties include banitsa with spinach (spanachena banitsa) or the sweet version, banitsa with milk (mlechna banitsa) or pumpkin (tikvenik). You can read more and see pictures at the following link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banitsa

    ReplyDelete